Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Welcome

Thanks for visiting the new Between the Lines blog.

I'm excited to say that I've received some encouraging feedback regarding the possibility of Between the Lines: A Father, A Son, and America's Pastime being published.

Below is the preface and some sample stories from the manuscript. I hope you enjoy them. Please consider posting a comment.

(All stories are copyrighted by Joe Shrode)

First Error

It was the first ball ever hit to me in a Little League game. It had to be: this was the first Little League game that I played. I stood in left field. I’d heard only fast guys play left field because that’s where all the balls are hit. I was ready for a hard hit…but hopefully, it’s not too hard because my glove didn’t have much padding and the ball would bruise my hand if it smacked the middle of the leather.

I ran as hard as I could, almost all the way to center field. I jumped as high as I could and reached as far as I could. That ball tipped the top of my glove and kept going, all the way to the fence. But it was still pretty cool because I had tried really hard and I don’t think the big guys could have even tipped it. But I did. It was a hit…no way I could have caught it. Everyone in the stands went, “OOOOOOOOH.”

I turned around and ran to get it. So did our center fielder, Rodney. Rodney was big and hit home runs. I let him pick up the ball because he had a good arm and was older than me. I’ll bet he thought I did pretty good for a nine-year-old. When he ran past me, he said, “Oh, way to go, now it’s an error.”

I wasn’t sure what an error was, but I knew it wasn’t good.

Rodney threw the ball to third base and nailed the runner. I stood there until I saw that everyone else was running to the dugout; that was the third out. I felt like my legs couldn’t move. I ran in as fast as I could, but it didn’t feel like I was even moving.

Everyone was yelling, “Great throw, Rodney! Good job, Rodney!” I kept my head down until I got to the dugout. When I looked up, the first person I saw was my mom. She said, “Don’t you dare cry.” But I did. Not because I didn’t catch the ball…nobody could have caught that one. But because Rodney told me I made an error, and that’s not good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home