Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Welcome

Thanks for visiting the new Between the Lines blog.

I'm excited to say that I've received some encouraging feedback regarding the possibility of Between the Lines: A Father, A Son, and America's Pastime being published.

Below is the preface and some sample stories from the manuscript. I hope you enjoy them. Please consider posting a comment.

(All stories are copyrighted by Joe Shrode)

Being a Kid

It’s about 3:30. I'm putting together my lineup for today's game against the Pirates and watching storm clouds move in, wondering how a rainout might affect my pitching rotation for the week. As a kid, I'd sit in the living room and watch those same clouds blow in over the trees and I'd keep checking the clock, as if somehow that would speed things up so game time would arrive before the rain.

There was one time in particular. We were playing Kiwanis and we only beat them by one run in extra innings the first time we played them. Jeremy was pitching. He's huge and throws real hard, but he's wild, so if he hits you, you'll have "seams" for at least a week. His big brother Mark hit a kid a few years ago and broke his arm...that's the truth…I heard it myself.

I'm looking out the window and there's a gigantic gray cloud moving in. It's supposed to rain, but how could it? We’re playing Kiwanis today. I put my uniform on early and sit on my bike in the garage, my mitt on the handlebars. I want to ride through the neighborhood with my uniform on − it's got a cool grass spot on the knee where I slid and made a game-winning catch. (or maybe it's from wrestling with Bob with my clean uniform on...Mom told me not to.)

When I get to the end of the road, I'll cut across the golf course and down the big hill because it's a lot quicker. I'll turn my hat around backwards, otherwise the wind might blow it off. If that happens, you just have to leave it, because if you stop, "Cotton" will get you. Cotton is the greens keeper at the golf course. He's 7 feet tall and always chasing us when we cut across the golf course...that's what I heard.

Once I "cut across" I'll see if I can make it all the way down Snake Road without pedaling.When I get to the field nothing else matters…unless there's a firetruck or a loud car racing by. Maybe I'll hit a home run today. That's cool because you get to run around the bases while everyone watches and the coach slaps your hand when you round third. Then the team will mob me at home plate and I'll run past the bleachers on the way back to the dugout with my helmet pulled down. I don’t want anyone to see me smiling, because big ol' cheesy grins are only for the dudes who hit their first home run. Sometimes guys will pull their helmet down after they strike out because they’re crying.

Upon reaching the dugout, I'll go to the back wall and put my helmet down. I’ll put my it down beneath that row of concrete blocks in the wall that are turned sideways. I’ll stand on it and peak through and make sure mom's there. She is...she always is. Some kids have to ask for rides home after the game, and if you ask them where their Mom is, they don't know. But if somebody asks if my mom's here, I say yes without even looking. She's in the left field bleachers. She sits in the same place every game. She likes it there because some of the moms and dads that sit behind home plate are always screaming at each other and everyone else. I can't figure out why they're always mad, because baseball is fun. Grownups say we just don't understand because we're kids. They must be right because it sure doesn't make any sense to me.

When I run back to my position with my hat pulled down, everyone will be looking at me and pointing and saying "that's the guy who hit the home run." Glen’s dad won’t be one of them because he can’t see. But I’ll tell him after the game because he always gives us money when we hit home runs. Plus, he always smiles real big and you can see that his front tooth is missing. He lost it in the war.

After the game, we'll slap the other team's hands and their coach will stop and shake my hand real hard and say "good hit." And that's really cool because I like him more than I like our coach. Ours is a big goofball and he likes Ed more than anyone else. I sure wish I had a coach like theirs. He teaches them cool plays and buys them pizza, and it seems like he never yells...even when they lose.

We'll get our free soft drinks. I’ll get the strawberry soda, since I hit a home run. Then I'll put my bike in the back of mom's white Datsun station wagon and she'll take me home. I could ride home...I could even "pull" that golf course hill without stopping and walking if I wanted to, but I just played a great game and I'm tired. Man, it's cool being a kid.

I bet when I'm 40 I won't remember the score of that game, but I'll remember that I hit a home run and my Mom was there and the other coach said it was a good hit. (Forty! Man, that sounds old)

We beat Kiwanis, 7-5. Maybe I can't be a kid again, but hopefully I can be like that "other coach." Or maybe just sit in the stands quietly, in the same place every game, and watch my boy play baseball if that's what he wants, because when he's forty that's what he'll remember.

1 Comment:

  1. Ann E said...
    This is really sweet. Liked the second to last paragraph because I KNEW you would remember the score in the last paragraph... Your Mom reflections are lovely. Hundreds of kids can relate.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home